Monday, November 24, 2008

Field Trip #2

Today, we had a field trip to the Arizona Memorial and Battleship Missouri museum. I wasn't looking forward to this field trip (honestly I don't look forward to any field trip), but I rolled out of bed this morning at 5:15 to buy my lunch from Kabuki. I was happy there was no line there.

When I got to school, I was concerned that the kids would have to put their lunches in boxes since we were probably going to eat lunch there. I had to dig around my classroom to find suitable boxes. I was fortunate to find a few that weren't too dusty. The kids were excited to see me since I had been out on Friday and I found a note from some of my girls stating that some of the boys were out of line and misbehaving.

The bus left at 8, but our tour didn't start until 9. It doesn't take an hour to drive from my school to Pearl Harbor, but I'm sure traffic was taken into consideration. The movie before the boat ride was interesting, but when we got on to the memorial, there were some kiddies who felt the need to run around, even after the people at the memorial said NOT to run. Anyway, then we went off to the Missouri museum...but we couldn't get on to Ford Island because we didn't have a pass. Imagine sitting with 41 10-year-olds on a bus for 20 minutes! They were all complaining about how they had to go to the bathroom, drink water, or dying of starvation.

So we finally get on to the boat (LATE and by then I'm starting to feel hunger pangs as well) and we have this older guy as our tour guide. When we get into the boat itself, he got frustrated with my students b/c they weren't listening to his spiel...but he had just told me that it was ok if the kids went around and touched things around the museum. So I had to talk with my students about being respectful, etc. in the middle of the museum...I was not a happy camper. The tour went well after "the talk" though.

After the tour and lunch, we got back to school and I realized we had Hawaiian Studies, so I flagged down our Kumu and got to relax for 15 minutes. My back and feet were killing me...I need a massage. I'm so not looking forward to Wednesday (Field Trip #3).

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

i went on the missouri tour ... so not for kids, unless you have a docent who is experienced and knows how to make it interesting.

hee hee i want to take my kids to a farm in waimanalo but after your bus story, hm, makes me rethink the whole thing. if i could stick 'em on the bus and just meet them there that would be awesome. lol.

ONE MORE DAY!!!!