Friday, November 28, 2008

Black Friday Madness

I wasn't sure if I wanted to go to any Black Friday sales this year until I looked at the actual ads in the paper yesterday. BFC is back from Hilo for Thanksgiving weekend and I figured it'd be something for us to do together since he hadn't really experienced Black Friday shopping before. I went over to his place around 12:30 this morning and we went down to Waikele. As we were passing the area where Steve and Barry's is, I noticed a sign that said "Valet $5." BFC said, "There's no way they would make people pay money to park in a public lot." I thought the same thing, but we were both wrong. People were lined up just to park in the lots with money in hand! We ended up parking above the outlets and walking down. Some of the stores didn't open until 5 and there were already lines forming outside of them. BFC bought some shoes from Skechers, where they were having a good deal: Buy one pair and get the second one for 1 cent. The LeSportSac and Coach lines were too long and I didn't want to wait. Also went to some other clothing stores where I found nothing.

Off to Wal-Mart next. We got into the parking lot at 3:15 and the store didn't open until 5. The line was down the sidewalk. We ended up falling asleep for about an hour in the car and got up, but didn't get in line until 5 on the dot. That was a mistake since we should have gotten in to the line when we got there. The line was now snaking around the parking lot and we ended up getting to the store (finally) at 7. The sun was already coming out by the time we walked in and everything was already sold out. Very disappointing. BFC ended up buying an MP3 player for himself, which was steal (8GB for $40).

Next, we went to Pearlridge. Circuit City was comfortably crowded and there was still tons of merchandise to purchase. I was finally able to get some more DVDs I wanted. BFC bought a camera and another MP3 player for his brother. We walked around the mall afterwards, but didn't have enough energy to look around anywhere in particular.

Ended up taking him home and I went out with friends for lunch. Came home and crashed for two hours. I think I'll be ok now, but I have to do work. Back to reality...

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

omg. i am never, never shopping on black friday. that sounds like the most un-fun thing i've ever heard of. and did you hear about the walmart worker who got trampled to death? YIKES! i am definitely one of those faint-of-heart people who should stay away from malls on black friday at all cost.