Monday, February 16, 2009

Hilo Getaway

I just got back from my weekend trip to Hilo. It was a nice trip, but I'm super tired. BFC and I ended up getting up around 6:30 every morning since the sun came up around that time and the light shone through his screen door. It was nice spending the long weekend with him.

He had bought me roses for Valentine's Day and I was pleasantly surprised by his gesture. It meant a lot to me since it had been a long time since I got flowers. We went to this cute Japanese restaurant for Valentine's Day dinner. We just bought some sushi since we couldn't get a regular table and couldn't order from the regular menu. The sushi was good, but it didn't beat Kat's though (especially price-wise).

On a side note, everywhere we went for a sit-down meal, we had crappy service. On the first night, I wanted to go to KHOP, but there was no parking, so we went to Kuhio Grille, where the service has always been really good, but then we ended up waiting a while for someone to get our order and bring us our check. Then the following day, we had to wait forever for our water refills and checks at Encore, and at the Japanese restaurant, the cook was kind of rude to us until BFC name-dropped his uncle, who's a loyal customer. This morning, we finally got to go to KHOP for breakfast and there were no regular seats, so we had to sit on the counter, where I thought we'd have fast service, but I was wrong! We had this waitress who'd been working there for 35 years and she was talking story more than working. Since we were sitting on the counter, we could see our food sitting on the food counter for about 10 minutes (I finally ordered the coconut pancakes with coconut syrup and probably won't order it again...I should have gotten an omlette). Another waitress ended up bringing us our food. Then we had to wait another 5 minutes or so for the lady to bring a box to wrap BFC's leftovers. It's a good thing we went early, otherwise I'd been late to the airport.

Overall, aside from the sit-down restaurants, the trip was great and BFC and I both agreed that this was the best trip so far.

1 comment:

damned_cat said...

yay for vday flowers and (sort of) yay for ken's. what the hell, man. just because it's all local style doesn't mean service can suck!!

am gonna try to make it back to jazzercise sometime this week. try.